Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Princess and the Pauper

My neice, Meadow, celebrated her 4th birthday this past weekend. She wanted the theme to be Barbie Princess and the Pauper. I believe it is from a video but since I am a mom of boys, I don't know much about the Barbie scene. So, last week kept me busy making this cake...

I must admit that these types of cakes are not my favorite because I have never been good at drawing (or decorating with buttercream icing) faces. Cartoon type faces I am better at, but human like faces, I am not. So, I was not as pleased as I would like to have been with this one. I did try to recover with my failure to replicate faces by highlighting some of the details of the dolls. As seen below...

I was unable to get a great picture of the blonde Barbie close up but with this cake, I even used some gold dust (edible) to create the gold in her crown, on her necklace and gown.
This is the month of cakes...next up, Asher's!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I don't know if I'd even attempt a real face, since I can't even draw one with a pencil.

Angie said...

This cake was incredible! - to look at AND to eat. :) Meadow absolutely loved it. Thanks, Sarah!!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

awesome!!!!!